Sunday, January 02, 2005

Listen

Rachel and I took it easy following our raucous party the night before. I took her to see Kinsey. This was my third viewing, but a necessary corrective in her education. Her textbooks describe Kinsey as an evil pedophile.

Afterwards, we walked to get a bite, having a conversation about the exhilaration of honesty. Okay, so I brought up the subject, and its importance to Kinsey’s character in the film. But the longing for honesty is a big issue in Rachel’s life as well—there are too few people she can open up to.

“So anyway,” she says, “I lost my virginity last month.”

She told me all about it, in great detail. I won’t blog this, but suffice to say, she created the opportunity and initiated it with her long time boyfriend. I thanked her for sharing. I didn’t pry, but I listened and gave responsible advice. And I listened.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A good listener is what every daughter wants in a Dad. I hope Rachel knows how lucky she is. Cheers!

Jefferson said...

Thanks May--from one perv parent to another.

I think Rachel and I are both very lucky to have one another.