Thursday, February 24, 2005

Hey Dad

It’s snowing.

It’s been too cold to do much outdoors, so the kids have been playing, or gaming, or watching television.

I’ve got laundry in the dryer. Chicken is marinating in lime juice for dinner.

As I type, Lillie stands at my elbow.

“Hey dad, hey dad!”

“What’s up, sugar britches?”

“Collie and I formed a club. You want to come to a meeting?”

“Sure do!”

The sheets have been stripped from my bed and draped over a chair. We sit on the floor under the sheets with a flashlight and dozens of stuffed animals. Lillie takes attendance.

In my room there are photographs of all my children. There’s a photograph of Allan and my youngest brother, laughing.

And there is a head shot of Donnie, when he was fresh out of acting school. It looks nothing like him.

No comments: