Friday, June 24, 2005

Man About Town

Editor's note: Please take part in the current
poll.


On the Saturday after the track meet, Jason took a call from his best friend, David.

“Dad?” He held the phone to his chest. “Can I go to David’s for a while?”

“Sure, hon. Let me talk to his mom, okay?”

David lives a block from us. We have known his family since David and Jason were in kindergarten together.

“Hey, Jefferson.”

“Good morning, Mariam. So you are cool with Jason coming over?”

“Yes, that’s fine, but here’s the thing—we won’t be home. David wants to take Jason to a street fair, and then to a magic store at 110th Street.”

“110th Street? How will they get there?”

“They’ll take the subway. David does this every weekend on his own.”

I glanced at Jason.

His legs are so long now.

Same saucer-sized eyes he had as a baby.

“David knows the way, huh?”

“Yes. But if you aren’t comfortable with this . . .”

“No, I suppose it will be okay.”

“Good. Let me give you David’s cell phone number.”

“I have it already. I’ll send Jason right over.”

I closed the phone.

I went over the plan with Jason. He would be taking the subway alone with David. David would have his cell.

I would be in the park with his siblings. I would have my cell.

He could call for any reason.

He shrugged. No big deal.

He put on his shoes, took fifteen dollars from my wallet, and kissed me goodbye.

I had made the right decision.

Right?

The cell rang as I packed a picnic. It was Richard, the brother of my ex, Lucy.

He asked if Lucy had mentioned he would be in town. She had not.

Well, he had a few hours available. Could he visit the kids?

Of course, I said. We are just about to head to the park, I said; come join us.

Great, he said, adding that he was with Lucy. Would it be all right if she joined us?

I had not talked with Lucy since she hung up on me when Jason was missing.

Now Jason and David were out on the town, with no adult supervision.

Sure, I said. By all means, bring Lucy.

Brother. This could complicate my resolve that I had made the right decision.

I had no idea why her mood was so mercurial of late. But I knew I did not want to spark her reaction.

I didn’t want to be second-guessed about allowing Jason to take the subway with David.

I decided I would not bring this up.

Hopefully, it would not be a problem.

Nothing to do but cross fingers.

Collie and Lillie were excited about picnicking with Mom and Uncle Richard. We found them in our usual spot at Sheep Meadow.

I kissed Richard hello, and waved to Lucy. She smiled at me as she lifted Lillie to a kiss.

We ate our lunch and began to play games.

Richard and I caught up. He’s a very smart and funny man who inevitably makes me wish I had made a point of reading the entire New York Times that morning.

Somehow I had missed gossip about Phoebe Cates’s mom.

Lucy was in fine spirits. The kids were delighted—down one brother and up two adults!

It was great to have some breathing space. Tending three kids alone is nonstop. This was much more relaxed.

Just so long as the phone didn’t ring with reports that Jason and David had fallen into trouble.

Eventually, Lucy took her leave, off to see a concert with a date.

Richard stayed with us until he also had to leave for a dinner appointment.

I walked home with the kids. The sun set in our eyes.

I called Jason.

“Did you have a good time?”

“Yes, and I got this cool expanding lizard. It grows in a water bottle.”

“I have no idea what that is. Can you bring the lizard and your own bad self home now?”

The lizard was indeed cool.

You put it in water and it grows, so fast.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found him last time. Maybe this would be a good time to get one of those family plans from Verizon ro Cingular? Might alleviate your worries a bit....

Anonymous said...

"Mariam"?

come on, Jefferson. you can make up better names for people than that. Miriam would have been fine, or Marian, or Marianne, or Marion, but really- Mariam?

dont slip on the job, brother.

i like the whole post. except for David's mother's name.

Anonymous said...

Baby name finder:

http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/