Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rocks, Papers, Scissors

Viviane poured two stiff bourbons, on the rocks. “Okay, show me your driver’s license,” she said.

I pulled out my wallet.

“Okay, good. Now take this,” she said, handing me a pen. “And this,” she added, handing me my drink. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.” I took a belt, opened the pen, and changed the course of my life.

My lawyer had given me very clear instructions.

There were five copies of the final divorce agreement. Lucy and I needed to initial every page on all copies—there were over two hundred pages involved—and sign each copy in the presence of a notary public.

Lucy signed the papers at the end of the day on Friday and brought them to me. I had to have the signed agreements at her lawyer’s office before nine on Monday morning; they were being filed with the court at ten.

I had to find a notary over the weekend. I thought immediately of Viviane.

Viviane is also going through a divorce. We’ve met a few times over drinks to discuss life, art and the beginnings of our new lives. We’ve kissed, which was sweet and passionate.

I once left two hickeys on her bosom to remember me by.

She agreed to notarize my signature, but at a cost. She had gone without sex in the two years since her break up. She wanted me to break that streak of bad luck.

She drove a hard bargain. But what could I do? I needed a notary. So I agreed to emboss the sheets of this smart and attractive notary public.

“Now,” she instructed. “Sign here.”

I did. She countersigned, stamped the page and attached her seal.

“Again, here.” I held her hand as she left her stamp.

“Again.” I ran a hand along her leg.

“Again.” My hand on her back.

“And once more.” A kiss.

And so easily as that, my marriage ended.

If there is a God, the Lord spends too much time on irony. As I kissed Viviane, her stereo was playing Frank Sinatra singing "I Love My Wife."

She took me to her bedroom. We undressed, kissing. Her kisses grew hungry, awakening my mouth.

My mouth traveled all over her body, leaving kisses, nibbles, bites.

We went at it passionately.

When I left, my divorce was signed, sealed and ready for delivery. Viviane was covered in hickeys, her streak broken beyond repair.

Feeling light headed and giddy, I went to meet a friend for dinner and theatre. He is a former professor of mine. He served as the best man at my wedding. His signature witnessed my marriage certificate.

He was visiting me for the weekend, along with his husband of eighteen years.

“Well,” I announced, “I’m pretty much divorced.”

“Rather ironic, given what we are seeing tonight,” he laughed. They were taking me to see “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”

But first, we were having dinner with another former student of his. The former student brought his boyfriend. His boyfriend is Jake Shears, lead singer for the Scissor Sisters. They joined us at the play and for drinks afterwards.

Throughout the evening, I reflected on the loving affection of the two young men and the longevity and commitment of my professor’s relationship.

Perhaps I will find those things as well.

But as George and Martha bickered on stage, I took solace that at least those days were behind me.

sex
sexblogs

Frank Sinatra
Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Scissor Sisters

13 comments:

Viviane said...

Lies. All lies. ;-D

Anonymous said...

careful, Viviane... he might remove your post if you suggest he's not being truthful.


jefferson... wink? grin? you mad at me for being critical on "What If"?
i love you, baby. (and you're so hot)

marcus

Anonymous said...

Jefferson I think you are fabulous :) MWAH!

Jefferson said...

Oh, Viviane, you also claimed the graffiti in the men's room was a lie. But we know better, don't we?

Marcus, I could never stay angry with some endowed with such an impressive smile.

And thanks, Anonymous, for the sloppy kiss!

Jefferson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

anytime ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes we do, Jefferson, and we have the evidence to prove it. ;-D

Jenny said...

Oh Marcus, why do you not have your own blog? How I would love to read about these things from your point of view too...

Jen
Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Marcus, everything Jen said! I'd even help you soup it up. Piece of cake.

D.L.

Madeline Glass said...

While Marcus has thus far resisted our entreaties to start his own blog, I do have his permission to post the following: Jump to Madeline's site and follow the sidebar link to "Marcus's House of Fuck."

Mmmmmmmm. Yummy.

Like Jefferson says, he really does have an impressive, um, smile.

Jefferson said...

How we wish Marcus would blog.

The stories he tells would curl your hairs . . . at least, the ones that aren't already curly.

Everytime he begins a story with the words, "So I was in Los Angeles with my friend D. . . ," Madeline and I know to plug our ears and sing "La-la-la-la-la."

Otherwise we might turn into pillars of salt.

But you know, Marcus is a smart whore. He knows better than to give it away.

Help me out, Wayback. What's that blues song with the lyrics along these lines:

Gonna keep sitting on it
'Cause I can't sell it
And I ain't givin' it away.

Jenny said...

Oh my...checked out the link to "Marcus's House of Fuck". Very nice. Very very nice. Funny thing though - even upon extremely close inspection of each picture I didn't see one single um...smile (other than on me!).

Thanks Madeline...

Jen

Anonymous said...

Er, some of those pictures are now on my handheld. The blogs get downloaded every morning. Make for interesting reading on the subway...and a lot of squirming in my seat.

G.