Sunday, July 03, 2005

Independence

The kids eat cereal in their underwear.

School is out! And for several days, I have started their late mornings with celebratory brunches.

Now, after one box of pancake mix, a package of bacon, a dozen eggs, eighteen biscuits, six English muffins, a gallon of juice, two sticks of butter, a jar of jam and one pineapple, I leave them to their own devices.

Cheerios and milk will suffice.

I will get by on coffee.

I regret that I did not stock champagne, for today marks an anniversary.

Two years ago today, I moved out of my marriage.

After several months of enduring Lucy’s bitter silence and acrimony, after sleeping alone in our bedroom as she camped on a sofa, after fending off her fists when her fury exceeded her capacity for cursing, after doing whatever I could think of to avoid it, I relented and gave Lucy her independence for Independence Day.

She was very relieved to see my back walk through the door.

Through my sorrow and anger, I was glad to get away from the misery she had made of our family’s lives.

I set up camp in dusty apartment. I put new sheets on our old bed, the one on which we had conceived our three children.

I plugged a phone line into our old computer.

I made a beeline for Craig’s List.

I found a fellow named Gus. He looked like Matthew Broderick.

He kissed me when we fucked.

Lucy never kissed during sex. “Too intimate,” she would wince, turning away.

“God, you like to kiss,” Gus told me.

“I have a lot of kissing inside me,” I told him.



bisexuality



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've all got lots of kisses for you. Happy Anniversary.

Viviane said...

happy independence day. And here's to the ones to come!

Grace Lee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meg said...

“I have a lot of kissing inside me,” I told him.

lucky us.

Anonymous said...

How does a wife think it's 'too intimate' to kiss her husband during sex?

the Witch said...

It is easier to kiss strangers - one has no hurt feelings stored up against them.

Demon Queen said...

It IS a special day!

Independence day in more ways than one.

Although it brings back tough memories you are right... champagne is called for.

Here's a toast to you dear!
May you find all the kisses your heart desires!

The Snakehead said...

Wow.

Wow.

Happy Independence Anniversary!

Azuzil said...

Congrats on your independance day.
I have one of those, it is Oct 15th when I moved out and left her the apartment. My heart goes out to you every time you talk about Lucy. I have always liked the tradition of kissing on New Years, I think with you in mind I will add kissing to my Independance day. Kissing is to precious to go without.
Thanks,
Azuzil

Viviane said...

Apparently, yesterday was International Kissing Day. Mwwaaah!