Friday, February 11, 2005

Back Home

“Hel-lo?”

“Hi Nanny, it’s Jefferson calling!”

“Well, hey! How are you?”

“I’m fine, Nanny, how are you?”

“Well, I’m fine! How are the babies?”

“Oh they’re fine. They’re in the back fussing, as they do. They said they hope you are better.”

“Well aren’t they precious?”

“So how are you? You’re out of the hospital . . .”

“Yes, they sent me back home this morning. They gave me some medicine to take, and I have to go back to the doctor’s tomorrow. But I’ll tell you, I am glad to be out of that hospital!”

“I bet you are. Did they treat you right?”

“Oh, they were nice. But all those tests, and those things in my arm . . . well, I don’t miss that.”

“Do you still feel effects of the stroke?”

“Well, the index finger on my left hand feels like it’s asleep. So does the middle of my left cheek.”

“It’s numb, or it tingles?”

“It tingles, like I slept on it.”

“That must be irritating.”

“It is, it is. But you know, no one can notice it by looking. I look the same, it just feels different.”

“So your beauty is intact?”

“Oh baby, when you get to be my age, ‘beauty’ isn’t much possible!”

“What, did they take your mirror away, pretty lady?”

“You hush . . . now, did you get the birthday card I sent you?”

“Yes ma’am I did. Thank you very much!”

“Well, you’re welcome, baby. Did you deposit the check too?”

“No ma’am, not yet . . .”

“You be sure that you do.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“I know twenty dollars ain’t much . . .”

“Every bit helps! It’s very sweet of you to send it.”

“ . . . well, I wish it could be more . . .”

“It will go to a good use, I’m sure.”

“Well, you make sure you deposit it.”

“Yes ma’am, I will.”

“’Cause I’ve already subtracted it in my bank book, so it’s like I don’t have it any more anyway.”

“I promise, I’ll deposit it.”

“I wish it could be more . . . you spend it on yourself, you hear? That’s not money for bills, that’s money for you.”

“I will. I’ll buy a scarf.”

“Is it cold up there?”

“Not today, really, but it’s been cold.”

“I saw that snow on TV . . . I couldn’t put up with all that snow.”

“It can be a trial, but they clear it from the streets pretty quick.”

“Well, that’s good . . . well, let me let you go. I know you need to feed those babies.”

“Yes ma’am, it’s about that time.”

“Well, you kiss them for me.”

“Yes ma’am I will. I’m glad you’re home. I love you.”

“I’m glad too! I love you baby. Bye now.”

“Bye, Nanny.”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that is so sweet i could cry!

Grace Lee said...

That is very sweet. I never knew my grandparents, they died during the war.

Jefferson said...

She's a sweetheart, Rejected.

Which war, Glee? The Spanish-American War?

(Apologies for the creaky "I Love Lucy" joke.)

Librarian Babe said...

Such a sweet conversation!

The past couple of days I've been missing my grandma, out of the blue... she passed away just over two years ago. Can't believe it's been that long.

We all need to cherish our grandparents! Glad to know you treat yours well Jefferson.

Grace Lee said...

Which war? WWII. The Japanese occupation of mainland China. Part of my life is straight out of 'The Joy Luck Club.' Having said that, I suggest all readers spend some timing sending Jefferson's Nanny some positive energy.

Anonymous said...

awww...that sounds *just* like a conversation i would have with my grandmother! is your's southern, too?
sorry this is my first comment though i've been reading awhile. love your site.
~Natalie (www.xanga.com/nataliedeltagam)

Jefferson said...

Thanks for your comments, Natalie. It's encouraging to hear from people who are reading my life.

Plus your comment sent me to your site. Wow, feel better!

Yes'm, my family hails from your neck of the woods. Everyone except yours truly lives where we were born, in the Magic City, just west of your town in the Heart of Dixie.